This 1991 Toyota MR2 is the development car for ATS Racing’s entire catalog of Toyota MR2 possibilities. Featunring a “5SGTE” Turbo 4-cylinder engine, so named because you use the MR2’s cylinder head with the block of a 1998 Camry and a stroker crank, this MR2, depending on the desired application, will run between 30 and 45 PSI of boost through a Precision 6265 Ball Bearing Turbo, making a peak 1000 HP at the crank.
Unfortunately this video ends with the car having a bit of a crap-out on me, but fear not! It was only a blown fuse, a 20+ year old, stock fuse at that, and the car was running fine again 20 minutes later.
Special thanks to Aaron and the guys from ATS Racing for this opportinuty! Got an MR2, Lotus, Ferrari, Corvette, or anything else that needs a Turbo? Hit up ATS Racing: http://www.atsracing.com
Special Thanks to Eagles Canyon Raceway for letting me film! For track day or membership information: http://www.eaglescanyon.com
Special thanks to Mason Bleadsell and Thomas Le for the cover photos and drive-by shot assistance. http://www.bleasdellphotography.com/
Full Build Sheet – 1991 Toyota MR2
• 1000hp (872rwhp, detuned to 820rwhp for the street)
• “5SGTE” – NOT a Honda K-swap!
• ATS Racing 2.3l stroker block with proprietary half-fill
• ATS Racing custom ground crankshaft
• Pauter connecting rods
• ATS Racing heavy duty Wiseco pistons
• ARP L19 headstuds with Hux Racing cylinder head inserts
• ATS Racing custom CAD-designed MLS headgasket
• GSC high lift cams, shimless bucket conversion, and other valvetrain parts
• ID2000 injectors, twin Walbro fuel pumps, boost-a-pump to run 16V
• ATS Racing top-mount manifold with Precision 6265 ball bearing turbo
• 46mm wastegate, runs between 30 and 45 psi of boost
• ATS Racing trunk-mount intercooler
• Custom straight runner intake manifold
• ECUMaster EMU standalone ECU tuned by ATS Racing
• Quaife LSD in stock transmission
• ATS Racing upgraded axle CV joints
• ClutchMaster FX700 twin disc clutch
• KVR/Wilwood front brake kit, 93+ rear brakes
Build notes from Aaron at ATS Racing:
This engine is usually referred to as the 5SGTE because it uses the 3SGTE MR2 cylinder head with a 5SFE block (from a 1998 Camry). This block has been half filled with a ATS Racing proprietary technique that maximizes strength and minimizes the fill’s impact on the cooling capacity (this is Texas, we have 100+ degree summers). The crankshaft has been custom ground by ATS Racing for 95mm of stroke, giving us 2.3 liters of displacement (an original turbo MR2 is 2.0 liters). The rods are Pauter and the pistons are custom ATS HD pistons made for us by Wiseco. The head gasket is metal (ATS) and the (ATS) head studs are made of a material called L19. It’s STRONG but highly reactive. Don’t touch them with your bare hands.
The cylinder head has oversized intake and exhaust valves, GSC high lift 274 cams, shimless bucket conversion, and GSC valve train components. There is some mild porting, but the heads flow really well right out of the box.
The fuel system uses Injector Dynamics ID2000 injectors, twin Walbro fuel pumps, and a boost-a-pump that ups the voltage to 16 volts when under some serious turbo boost.
The turbo kit is an ATS top mount manifold with a Precision 6265 ball bearing turbo and 46mm wastegate. It runs between 30 and 45 psi of boost.
The trunk is filled with a huge ATS intercooler and a custom straight runner intake manifold.
The ecu is an ECUMaster EMU tuned by Scott McClendon of ATS Racing.
The transmission is a rebuilt stock turbo MR2 but with a Quaiffe LSD and ATS CV joints in the axles. The clutch is a ClutchMaster’s FX700 twin disk.
The suspension is new genuine Toyota struts with Eibach springs (I appreciate a comfortable ride).
Front brakes are a KVR/Wilwood front brake kit, rears are 93+ MR2 Turbo
The outside is mostly stock except for a Bomex front bumper, custom side vents, Aeroware rear spoiler and Tom’s scoop on the driver’s side, and some Volk Gram Light wheels with Mickey Thompson drag radials on the rear.