How The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Hits 60 MPH In 2.3 sec.
Subscribe for new videos every Wednesday! – https://goo.gl/VZstk7
The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the world’s fastest quarter mile production car. But how does it do that? How does it hit 1.8 g’s of acceleration when powered by only the rear wheels? Rear wheel drive!? Physics tells us that the maximum force a wheel can apply to the ground is equal to the normal force acting on the tire multiplied by the frictional coefficient of the tire (F=u*N). So the car needs to be able to transfer all the weight to the rear tires, and have super stick tires. This video explains how the vehicle does just that!
*IMPORTANT CORRECTION!* The 2.3 second 0-60 time is indeed from 0 mph, not after 1 ft of rollout. This is faster than the Tesla P100D to 30 mph (incorrectly stated in video). My apologies for the confusion. When I asked Dodge PR directly about the car, they told me this: “”The Demon 0-30, 0-60 and 0-100 times do NOT include the 1 ft of roll out.” I interpreted this as the times did not include the time for 1 foot of rollout, however from Detroit News: “Roll-outs aren’t a fair way to do zero-60, honestly. A real zero-60 is from a dead stop. But we included (a roll-out) anyway because we knew that question would come up,” said Kuniskis in the Big Apple. “You include roll-outs in our times and it’s 2.1 seconds.”
From The Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Press Release:
“- 840 horsepower and 770 pounds-feet of torque from supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Demon V-8 engine makes Dodge Challenger SRT Demon the most-powerful muscle car ever
– Highest horsepower V-8 production car engine ever produced
– First-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records
– World’s fastest quarter-mile production car with an elapsed time (ET) of 9.65 seconds and 140 miles per hour (mph) as certified by National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
– Challenger SRT Demon is too fast for the drag strip – officially banned by NHRA
– World’s fastest 0-60 production car: 2.3 seconds
– 0-30 miles per hour: 1.0 second
– Highest g-force acceleration of any production car: 1.8 g
– Air-Grabber™ induction system includes the largest functional hood scoop (45.2 square inches) of any production car
– Significant upgrades to create the Demon engine include:
– Larger 2.7-liter per rev supercharger; increased boost pressure to 14.5 psi
– Higher rpm limit of 6,500
– First-ever factory-production car with innovative SRT Power Chiller™ liquid-to-air intercooler chiller system
– First factory-production car with After-Run Chiller that keeps cooling the supercharger/charge air cooler after the engine is shut off
– First-ever, factory-production car designed to run on 100+ high-octane unleaded fuel or 91 octane on demand
– First-ever, factory-production car with TransBrake for more powerful and quicker launches
– First-ever, factory-production drag car with Torque Reserve, to deliver increased levels of power and torque at launch
– First-ever, factory-production car with front passenger seat delete
– Exclusive, serialized Demon Crate offers components that fully unleash the car’s potential at the drag strip
– Challenger SRT Demon is covered by FCA US LLC factory warranty, including three-year/36,000-mile limited vehicle warranty and five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage
– Production of limited-edition single model year (3,000 United States/300 Canada) Challenger SRT Demon begins later this summer; deliveries to Dodge//SRT dealers to begin this fall
– All customers who buy the new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon receive one full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving.”
Don’t forget to check out my other pages below!
Official Website: http://www.howdoesacarwork.com
Car Throttle: https://www.carthrottle.com/user/engineeringexplained
EE Extra: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsrY4q8xGPJQbQ8HPQZn6iA
NEW VIDEO EVERY WEDNESDAY!